7 Hammersmith Terrace

Visitor information

Splendid Arts and Crafts interiors in the former home of the engraver, photographer and printer Emery Walker (1851-1933).

Walker moved to Hammersmith Terrace in the 1870s, where he found himself neighbouring the bookbinder T. J. Cobden-Sanderson (1840-1922), the calligrapher Edward Johnston (1872-1944), and the art critic F. G. Stephens (1827-1907). A socialist with a particular interest in printing, Walker played a major part in the Arts and Crafts movement, and was a close associate of William Morris (1834-1896), who also lived nearby, at Kelmscott House.

Walker lived first at 3 Hammersmith Terrace and at Number 7 from 1903, at which point he directly transferred the bulk of his furniture. Preserved for posterity by his daughter Dorothy and managed by the Emery Walker Trust from 1999, Number 7 is displayed much as Walker left it. Typical of many of the homes of key Arts and Craft figures, it testifies to Walker's long friendship with William Morris, combining Morris & Co. textiles and furnishings with seventeenth- and eighteenth-century furniture, as well as Middle Eastern and North African textiles and ceramics.

The house is currently closed to visitors while it undergoes a refurbishment supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund. The restored and refreshed rooms will reopen in early 2017.

Similar studio museums...

Address:

7 Hammersmith Terrace
London
United Kingdom
W6 9TS

Telephone:

020 8741 4104

Email:

Website:
http://emerywalker.org.uk/
Opening times:

7 Hammersmith Terrace is temporarily closed to visitors.

It will re-open following the Arts and Crafts Hammersmith refurbishment project in early 2017.

Social Media