Municipal Museum Gust De Smet © Erwin De Keyzer
Gust De Smet (1877-1943) established a home and studio here in the last period of his life, in Sint-Martens-Latem, Belgium. Then a quiet rural area around the river Leie, Sint-Martens-Latem was also known as an artists' colony, having previously provided a home for Symbolist artists Valerius de Saedeleer and George Minne. De Smet quickly became part of the so-called 'Second Latem Group', along with Frits van den Berghe and Constant Permeke. During this period, he explored the potential of both Luminism and Impressionism, but finally moved towards a style fusing Expressionism and Cubism.
The municipal museum Gust De Smet was established after the artist's death and formally opened in 1950. Visitors to the site can still see the fully-furnished house and studio, along with a selection of paintings and drawings by De Smet.
The museum is closed at the moment due to renovations and will re-open on 15 October 2016
Gustaaf De Smetlaan 1
09 282 17 74
The museum is closed at the moment due to renovations.
It will re-open on 15 October 2016.
© Municipal Museum Gust De Smet