In 1807, JMW Turner purchased a two-acre plot of land between Twickenham and Richmond bridge. By 1813, Sandycombe Lodge was built, to his own designs. Elements of the building, including the rounded wings and the laylight above the stairs, hint at the influence of Turner's great friend, Sir John Soane (1753-1837), whose Lincoln's Inn Fields home - now the Sir John Soane Museum - was being constructed at around the same time. The new house served as a retreat for Turner from the busy art world of London, and provided a home for his retired father, 'Old William', a retired barber. However, Turner also entertained close friends here, and the surrounding landscape inspired many of his paintings of this period, most famously England: Richmond Hill on the Prince Regent's Birthday of 1819 (Tate Britain).
After Turner sold Sandycombe in 1826, the house passed through various hands until, in 1947, it was bought by Professor Harold and Mrs Ann Livermore. In 2005, Professor Livermore established the Sandycombe Lodge Trust (now Turner's House Trust), to whom ownership of Sandycombe passed in 2010, on Professor Livermore's death. Conservation work began on the house in 2016, following a major fundraising campaign, and the house opened to the public in July 2017.
40 Sandycoombe Road
020 8892 5475
Wednesday - Sunday, 10am - 4pm
Closed on Mondays, and only open to educational visits on Tuesdays.
Please pre-book your visit. Access to the house is by self-guided tour on the hour, 10am - 1pm and through guided tours on the hour between 1pm - 4pm.